Hive Five: Our daily listicle of musical musings
Last night, the first Hip Hop Squares, which you can watch above, kicked off on MTV2, bringing together Ghostface Killah, Fat Joe, Tech N9ne, Mac Miller, Childish Gambino, DJ Khaled, MGK, Donnell Rawlings, and Kat Graham. And the 30-minute program was as bizarre as that grouping of rap figures with Fat Joe correctly guessing that a pig’s “junk” is shaped like a corkscrew and host Peter Rosenberg correctly (?) guessing that he and Danny Brown were the only men in the room who weren’t having sex between the ages of 15-19. Also, Fat Joe held down the “G-spot” square, which was both a little disturbing and an honor for him since one of his questions was worth $1000 dollars. All these oddities and WTF-moments made it strangely difficult to look away. Here’s our five favorite quotes from last night’s promising debut.
1. DJ Khaled: “I’m going to be honest, I would love for Flava Flav to be president. It would bring a lot of excitement to the country.”
2. Childish Gambino: “You know who was on time tonight, which surprised me? Ghostface. Ghostface was early and making calls — what rapper does that?”
3. Fat Joe: “Man I wouldn’t want to be in [MGK's] position right now … He’s just oblivious to what’s going on.” Rosenberg: “You just picked a guy who was facing the wrong direction when you picked him.”
4. Rosenberg: “If Master P is killing aliens as Master Chief, what video game is he most likely playing?”
MGK: “That’s a trick question Peter. It’s real-life. Master P is a thug. He’s poppin’ everybody.”
5. Center square Mac Miller, on non-existent weed-laced alcohol: “We were just drinking some joint juice earlier.”
Hip Hop Squares airs Tuesdays at 11pm on MTV2.