Everyone’s favorite angelic-voiced sad-sack Antony Hegarty is back this week with Cut the World, a career spanning live album recorded in Denmark in 2011. The symphonic flourishes promise to give Antony and the Johnsons songs — which already ooze with melancholy — an enhanced sense of weepy theatricality. In fact, Antony appears to exist on a funereal plane all his own, where his warbling vibrato can seem like the only sign of lightness. But Antony is no Debbie Downer; it turns out he saves the smiling for when he’s overseas. So, like we did when we showed Marilyn Manson’s softer side, we’ve made five GIFs of Antony Hegarty grinning like a cherub. Those cheeks, you’ll just wanna pinch ‘em!
1. Swedish music blog PSL interview in 2008
2. Performing “Cut the World” in the Netherlands earlier this year
3. During a 2010 interview in Australia
4. While performing “Hope There’s Someone” in Sweden in 2005
5. Interview with Norway’s NRK Lydverket in 2008